Thursday, March 27, 2008

Conclusion

Time to give it a rest
Well, I’ve put in many entries whenever I could, and now, I think is the time to end. As Shakespeare once said, and Stan Lee may have quoted, “all good things must come to an end.”

So many posts did I write here on various ladies, and even a few men, whom I could find at least one thing done to them that could be or was discriminatory, as well as occasionally give mention to some writers and what they did wrong at their end too. It wasn’t that often, but, I did my best to see what info I could find, and even tried to update some of the entries whenever possible according to what developments had taken place of recent.

In the end, I wonder if maybe it hadn’t turned out to be quite what I had intended for this blog to be. Of course there were a few things where I might’ve done something awkward. But, I won’t worry about it too much. And I am happy that I was able to do as much as I did, entering data on as many different protagonists as I could find, and adding a picture too.

And did it come in helpful in dealing with the ghastly problems of discrimination against women in comics? I do hope it did, or can. The road ahead is still long, and as of this writing, there are still only so many problems that haven’t been fixed yet in DC and Marvel’s scriptwriting that still require it. As of this writing, I’m pleased to tell that I discovered that at least two grave errors so far have been fixed: Stephanie Brown has been returned to the living world, and Leslie Thompkins has thus been exonerated of any supposed crime against her too. And if those can be fixed, so can others.

I’ve seen at times people who think that even if a girl in comics has been killed off in the most offensive and tasteless of manners, or even turned into an evil villainess, that it should be left that way, because “dead is dead.” I fully disagree, because it does not solve anything, and does not counteract the bad taste left behind. Especially as these acts become more and more contrived, forced, and revolting as the years go by and anything of this sort continues to pile up. I tend to think of this mindset as “emperor’s new clothes syndrome,” and what if ten or twenty more ladies, major or minor, get killed off in any notable comic? Will they continue to think that even then? If they do, all that will happen then will be that comics get turned into a farce.

There’s been too much death and villification in comics in the past 5 years, most definitely in DC Comics. And because it’s been so close together, coming virtually every year now that someone dies an increasingly pointless death, that’s what makes it all the more unacceptable. And I think it’s time, not just to put a stop to it, but also to reverse any and all deaths that were really pointless and tasteless, and even threw away worthy potential (like, say, when Jade was killed in the Infinite Crisis-based Rann-Thanagar special), because the editors are too lazy to hire writers who can think up more positive ideas of what to do with their stable of protagonists, or, because they’ve got no idea where they’re even going.

And that’s probably why I maintained this blog, to give some mention to as many characters as I could think of who can and do have story potential that not enough are willing to give a chance to.

I’m sure there’s a few more female protagonists I could’ve added as well. Dani Moonstar, for example. But I felt that I had to stop, as it was getting harder to think of what could really be said.

And so, I will now be ceasing updates of this blog, as I feel the time has come to take a rest. I’d like to thank all who paid a visit here for taking a look around, as you may continue to do so with what entries have already been posted here in the 2 years I’ve put this together. I’m quite happy with what I’ve made an effort to write up here, and enjoyed it.

So now, I guess it’s time to say goodbye here, and thanks for visiting The Comic Book Discrimination Dossiers.

5 Comments:

At 5:17 AM , Blogger Lars Shalom said...

aliens are jewish too!! please read, perhaps you'll get some ideas!! ;_)

 
At 4:32 PM , Blogger james said...

I started a new suphero blog on the Defenders (http://defendersfan.blogspot.com/) last week and included your site to the blog list. Even if you don't add anything else, you've already created a great resource here. Thanks for all of your work.

 
At 11:03 AM , Blogger Avi Green said...

Thanks. I'll add the link to your blog to the side menu here.

 
At 2:35 AM , Blogger #6 said...

Shalom.

 
At 6:59 PM , Blogger Betsy said...

I enjoy your blog!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home